Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Virii are strains, then they get strainsger… by Dave B.

The staff from HIV Edmonton approached me and asked, “Dave, we want to highlight people who work and/or volunteer their time here and why they do it. Would you be willing do that?” 

I am currently a member of the Positive Speakers’ Bureau here at HIV Edmonton. I take this position quite seriously, as I have been associated with this agency in one form or another fairly steadily over the past 18 years or so. In fact, my dilemma was “Ok, you want a story - do you have a word count in mind? Are you aware I was once a somewhat prolific writer?”  Well, some will chuckle. Some might cry.

A Legacy year. Another year. I look forward to telling you my "story" in the near future. Yet for this posting, I’ll just pontificate. We meet once a month in the boardroom at HIV Edmonton to debrief and talk about our experiences in telling our tales. We share our experiences and ideas about ways we can improve our lives and live healthier lifestyles. Oh, and sometimes, we’ve been known to play. 

Yes, HIV is manageable today, and the best way I can go out on a speaking engagement as a representative of an agency that has given so much to me is to portray it. Then, perhaps people will see what I mean when I say it. Be the part when I play it. Yet, most of all, I know that I have a group of peers who face those same groups, critics, and crowds. And staff who possess the necessary skill sets to absorb my continued shocks and synaptic befuddlements. There is a definite sense of empowerment in this group. A feeling that I can prepare for a better next time, continually looking forward - I like that. It works for me. In honesty, I cannot count the number of hours I have given to the agency. The energy I receive far exceeds the commitment I give through my meager service work. It is a position the agency will be hard pressed to shake me from.

January, 2011
Dave B.

No comments:

Post a Comment