Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Malcolm’s Story

Dear readers
I don’t know how to begin. I am not a white man or a black man or oriental man. I am a proud native man. I am not a typical native, I don’t have braids, and my hair is not up to my back. But I do like blondes like every other male does. You know what, when I see a native women walk by, my chest skips a bit. I just want to hug them and say to them you are beautiful, which they all are. I have respect for all native women that’s why when I meet them I tell them the truth that I am HIV positive. Some people say ‘why do I say that to them?” It is because it’s every person’s responsibility to let other people know. Sure I may not see them again but they don’t respect me for telling the truth. I will wait till I meet one that respects me for telling the truth. That one will have a heart of kindness. That is what every positive male wants, that is what I want. People with HIV should let people know that they are positive. I am not saying when you are at a bus stop or coffee shop you say to people ‘hey you know what, I am HIV positive’. That is not the right way. To me it is when you feel it is right, like say it’s your friend. A good friend will not say I don’t want anything to do with you no more. Well, that is definitely not a friend. A good friend will probably not know how to respond. She or he will look at you and say ‘I didn’t know you were gay’. And you will respond ‘It is not a gay disease, it is a human disease, and you know why I told you? You are my friend and friends are hard to come by. Because I trust you as a friend, you won’t judge me. I never judge you as my friend, so my friend I still love you’.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm, thank you for sharing your story - I admire your honesty and courage. You have a kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this Malcolm. You bring a special gift to the community when you share your perspective. You are really able to say it exactly as it is, right from the heart with honesty.

    ReplyDelete